To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
The Space@Sea project has officially started with the aim of developing a standardized and cost-efficient modular island capable of producing and storing energy from offshore renewable sources, among its other multi-use applications.Space@Sea consists of seventeen European partners, including companies, research institutes and universities, united under Horizon 2020-funded project to develop a modular concept for multi-use platforms with low ecological impact.The three-year project that officially started on November 1, 2017, will study the most suitable shape of the floaters to minimize the motions at sea.The total worth of the project is around €7.6 million, out of which Horizon 2020 is providing approximately €6.8 million to support its development.As a starting point, triangles that allow modular design will be used to maximize the flexibility of adding and removing deck space and applications if necessary.Offshore specialists will contribute to design a shared mooring solution in combination with a remote monitoring and sensing system to reduce installation and maintenance costs, according to the project consortium.Maarten Flikkema, Project Coordinator at Maritime Research Institute Netherlands (MARIN), said: “The three-year project can be regarded as a success if the modular design of the multi-use platform has successfully been validated in a relevant environment at model scale.”To remind, the concept for floating mega island, comprising 87 large triangle-shaped floaters, was tested at MARIN earlier this year.During Space@Sea project, four applications for the island will be studied including farming, transport and logistics hub, energy hub and living.To show the potential of multi-use modular floating islands, Space@Sea will conclude with the evaluation of three business cases with combinations of applications for various locations throughout Europe, the project consortium said.
New Delhi, May 24 (PTI) Seeking to make them partners in the governments development programmes, the Centre will hold a run on Friday, exclusively for the youth residing in slums in the national capital.The nearly 2-km-long run, hosted by the Ministry of Youth Affairs, which will end at the Delhi Universitys Rugby Stadium, will be flagged off by many dignitaries including boxing champion Mary Kom.”As part of our outreach programme, we will hold our first Slum Run on May 26 morning. This would cover six Delhi Assembly constituencies including Wazirpur, Model Town, Chandni Chowk, Timarpur and Burari.”Eventually, we will have a city-level final event, but that would be held in a stadium,” Union minister of State for Youth Affairs Vijay Goel told reporters.”The idea is to take development to slums and make them feel integrated… and not consider them as dirt-filled places.”Also, we plan to have Rotary and Lions Club adopt slums here and then business houses and industries, but we will decide as to which slums would be given,” he said.The event is being held under the Centres Adopt A Slum programme.Goel said that he has adopted Indira Basti in Timarpur under the programme.”It (run) will be flagged by (Delhi BJP chief) Manoj Tiwari, (party leader) Bhupender Yadav and Mary Kom,” Goel said.”Under the Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan (NYKS) of our (sports) ministry, slums would be adopted in the 11 districts of Delhi. We should work on developing these slums to such a degree that even PM Modiji appreciates it. Also, the NSS (National Service Scheme) volunteers would be working to make the scheme a success,” the minister said.advertisementGoel said the primary aim of the scheme is to galvanise these youth from the slum areas, into able partners of our various programmes — Swachh Bharat, Smart City, Accessible India, Skill India. They would help take these programmes to the people, he said.The age limit of the participants would be 15-29 and all of them would be given a t-shirt and a medal, he said. PTI KND IKA
Leader of Government Business in the Senate, Hon. Kamina Johnson Smith, is reassuring that drawdowns to support the budget will only be taken from the National Housing Trust (NHT) if deemed crucial. Leader of Government Business in the Senate, Hon. Kamina Johnson Smith, is reassuring that drawdowns to support the budget will only be taken from the National Housing Trust (NHT) if deemed crucial.“It is not intended if it is not necessary, that all four years will be utilized,” Senator Johnson Smith said, while addressing the Senate on July 21.She was piloting the National Housing Trust (Amendment) Act, 2017, which makes provisions for these drawdowns.The Bill allows the Government to continue the withdrawal of $11.4 billion from the NHT over the next four years. It was passed in the Senate with no amendments.Mrs. Johnson Smith explained that this arrangement is one of the revenue measures adopted to contribute to financing the Government’s budget for fiscal year 2017/18.She explained that it is in keeping with the previous Extended Fund Facility with the International Monetary Fund (IMF), which supported the Government’s economic reform programme.Provisions were made for prior drawdowns through an amendment to the NHT Act, which came to an end in March of this year. The new Bill sought to renew this arrangement.Senator Johnson Smith pointed out that the Government was reluctant in opting for this revenue measure, but argued that without this being put in place, the Government would be forced to levy new taxes.“This measure must be viewed against the background of fundamental tax reform, (that is) the continued shift from direct to indirect taxes….for purposes of equity and the need to create the breathing space over the medium term to undertake public spending reforms, which will take time to implement and the benefit of which will only occur in the medium term,” the Minister said.“Furthermore, it certainly would be undesirable to cut expenditure on important programmes which are of benefit to the country,” she added.The NHT drawdowns are expected to continue until the financial year ending March 31, 2021. “Furthermore, it certainly would be undesirable to cut expenditure on important programmes which are of benefit to the country,” she added. Provisions were made for prior drawdowns through an amendment to the NHT Act, which came to an end in March of this year. The new Bill sought to renew this arrangement. Senator Johnson Smith pointed out that the Government was reluctant in opting for this revenue measure, but argued that without this being put in place, the Government would be forced to levy new taxes. Story Highlights
Farmers in Guy’s Hill, St. Mary, are to benefit from the Agriculture Push-Start (APS) programme, aimed at increasing the production of Irish potato, onions and Scotch bonnet peppers.Minister without Portfolio in the Ministry of Industry, Commerce, Agriculture and Fisheries, Hon. William J.C. Hutchinson, said the programme will concentrate on the youth and women, but it will also embrace all agricultural entrepreneurs who have a passion for and are serious about agriculture.“This is a pilot project starting with three crops. The aim of the programme is to engage anyone who wants to pursue agriculture as a business, to give them a good start, and in so doing, we are creating employment. This is about providing opportunities to better provide for you and family, your social empowerment and community development,” he said.He was speaking at the launch of the initiative during the National Irish Potato Programme Sensitisation Meeting held at the Guy’s Hill Town Hall on Wednesday (October 11).Minister Hutchinson said if the pilot is successful, the initiative will be extended to other parishes, and more crops added.“We have the capacity to grow most of these crops ourselves. When we look at crops like tomato, cantaloupe, gungo peas, carrot, thyme, all of these crops we import. We should never be importing these crops, and so… once we find that this programme gets off properly this year, all of these crops will be coming into the programme to give those who want to get involved a push-start,” he indicated.He said the APS programme is open to persons who do not have access to land, but are interested in farming.“We have as our partners in this programme the National Land Agency, which will be working with us to provide access to unused Government land. That means any Government land anywhere whatsoever, we are going to put farmers on that land so that they can cultivate,” he said.Minister Hutchinson encouraged the farmers to register their operations as a formal business and to seek assistance from the Ministry, the Rural Agricultural Development Authority (RADA), and other partner agencies.Present at the meeting were the Potato and Onion Producers’ Association, H&L Agro, Newport Fersan (Jamaica) Limited, and CrediScotia, which provided support, information on supplies, loans and other options available to assist with the APS programme.The Irish Potato sensitisation meeting was part of a series being undertaken by RADA to build farmers’ awareness and provide technical support for the 2017/2018 crop season.
zoomImage Courtesy: Jasmina Ovcina French container shipping major CMA CGM revealed plans to use Rotterdam as a primary LNG bunkering port once it takes delivery of its new ultra large container vessels (ULCVs) by 2020.“The entire plan has been structured in such a way that the bunkers for the ships will be taken in Rotterdam,” Rodolphe Saade, CMA CGM CEO, was cited by Platts as saying.As CMA CGM announced last year, its nine 22,000 TEU vessels will be equipped with engines using LNG.The boxships will be LNG-powered, where a few percent of marine gas oil will only be used for the ignition in the combustion chamber. The use of LNG would yield significant benefits compared to heavy fuel oil. Namely, the move would lead to up to 25% less CO2 emissions, 99% less sulphur emissions, 99% less fine particles and 85% less nitrogen oxides emissions, according to CMA CGM.The ships, worth USD 1.2 billion, are on order at Chinese shipyards Hudong-Zhonghua Shipbuilding and Shanghai Waigaoqiao Shipbuilding (SWS).World Maritime News Staff