SWINE FLU BREAKING NEWS 2: Second US death, speeding vaccine production, quarantined foreigners, House spending proposal

first_imgMay 5, 2009 Mexico sent a plane to China to pick up about 70 Mexicans who were quarantined there, Reuters reported today. The plane made stops in Shanghai and Beijing and was scheduled to go on to Guangzhou and Hong Kong before flying home, the story said. Meanwhile, a Chinese plane picked up 79 Chinese in Mexico City and was expected to pick up 20 more in Tijuana before flying them home, Reuters reported, citing a Xinhua story. US Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said today at a press briefing that drug companies will accelerate production of the seasonal flu vaccine to help provide the capacity to make a vaccine against the novel H1N1 virus. Health officials have said the CDC is developing a seed strain as the first step toward making the vaccine, though a decision to use the vaccine would be considered separately. US House Democrats have unveiled a $94.2 billion emergency supplemental spending bill that includes $2 billion for battling a potential worsening of the flu epidemic, according to an Agence France-Presse (AFP) report. President Barack Obama had asked for $1.5 billion for the flu epidemic. Most of the money in the bill is intended for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. [AFP report] Texas reported the nation’s second death from the novel H1N1 influenza (swine flu), in a woman from Cameron County who had a chronic health condition. According to an update posted on the Texas Department of State Health Services (TDSHS) Web site, she died earlier this week. The first US death from the new flu strain also occurred in Texas, a 22-month-old boy from Mexico City.last_img read more

Haitian director of tourism optimistic about tourism sector

first_img Share NewsRegional Haitian director of tourism optimistic about tourism sector by: – March 12, 2012 Sharing is caring! Share Dr. Daniel FouchardA Haitian tourism official has expressed optimism about his island’s tourism sector in the after math of the 2010 earthquake which caused severe devastation to the island.Director General of Tourism in Haiti, Daniel Fouchard, told an interview with the Caribbean Tourism Organization’s Communications Specialist Johnson JohnRose at the International Tourismus Borse (ITB) in Berlin last week, that the tourism sector is still “very active”. He graded himself as 8/9 on a scale of 1 to 10 in being optimistic about the growth and development of the sector although the island’s preoccupation is focused on rebuilding. “After the earthquake every Haitian thinks about reconstruction; rebuilding the country, giving the faith to the huge population, creating new schools, new opportunities for the youth of the country and giving the people the necessary hope to go further”. He explained further that several steps within the island’s tourism master plan are underway including the construction of two airports and new investments.“We are building two new airports in the country; one in Capiche and one in La Cai and then we have already signed a few contracts with other big companies who are investing in the hotel industry; Best Western, Marriott, Occidental”.Fouchard noted that although the tourism sector is very active he must wait until his minister has full powers so that the sector can operate more effectively, as the resignation of the former Haitian prime minister Garry Conille after four months into office has disrupted the government. He is also hopeful that Caribbean leaders particularly those in the Antillean; Jamaica, Cuba, Haiti, Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico among others will find a solution to issue of island hopping.According to Fouchard; these islands present a “mosaic of culture” which many people are interested in therefore the onus is upon them to find a way for easier travel within to and from these islands.“We are at a distance of 1 hour/2 hours from each other and every time we have to see one another we have to go up north or down south to go back to the Caribbean, we have to change that. I understand that there are a lot of countries now who are trying to do their best”.“We are young countries and trying to do the best to promote our countries” he said, recognizing the fact that the success of these islands sector is dependent on several factors some which they are unable to control as with the occurrences of natural disasters.ITB is a five day trade show which “enlightens visitors and qualified buyers about global travel, tourism and hospitality sectors and highlights the exotic destinations of more than 180 countries including Dominica under one roof in a friendly environment. The ITB trade show welcome more than 11163 exhibitors from various countries to exhibit their newest tour locations, hotel services, resort facilities and many more to render the perfect holiday and travel experience to all the interested visitors. The ideal business to business platform provides an ideal opportunity for the exhibitors to generate sales and meet with their industry peers and qualified buyers among 170000 visitors.Some of the highlights of the event are convention programs, business presentations and conference and workshops. Dominica Vibes Newscenter_img Tweet 87 Views   no discussions Sharelast_img read more

Napoli keep an eye on Chiesa

first_img read also:Man Utd plan major cash offer for Fiorentina attacker Enrico Chiesa The idea would be to include Andrea Petagna as part of the deal, knowing Fiorentina are still on the search for a centre-forward. Napoli’s main plan had been to sell Milik to Roma in exchange for Cengiz Under plus a cash sum, but those talks appear to have stalled. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Loading… Napoli could make a late summer bid for Fiorentina winger, Federico Chiesa, once they sell Kalidou Koulibaly and Arkadiusz Milik, it’s suggested. The Italy international was hot property on the transfer market and has been told he can leave for the right price, believed to be around €60m. However, his recent form and the financial effects of the pandemic have seen the offers whittle down to practically nothing. Now CalcioNapoli24.it suggest the Partenopei could prepare a late in the day swoop once they have raised funds by selling Koulibaly and Milik.Advertisementcenter_img Promoted ContentCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable WayCare To Try A Glow-In-The-Dark Doughnut?Best & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever Made8 Superfoods For Growing Hair Back And Stimulating Its GrowthThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read More7 Universities Where Getting An Education Costs A Hefty Penny6 Incredibly Strange Facts About HurricanesInsane 3D Spraying Skills Turn In Incredible Street ArtWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?What Are The Most Delicious Foods Out There?Who Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?You’ve Only Seen Such Colorful Hairdos In A Handful Of Animelast_img read more