O’Meara overcomes cuts to secure win

first_imgSteve O’Meara overcame cuts over both eyes to make a winning return to the ring, beating Chas Symonds on points on the undercard of Nathan Cleverly’s world title fight at Wembley Arena.Clashes of heads left O’Meara with a cut over the right eye in the opening round and then a nasty injury over the left, which led to moments of concern towards the end of the third.After the ring doctor allowed O’Meara to carry on before the start of the fourth, the West Drayton man boxed at longer range for the rest of the six-round contest and was a 58-56 winner after having a point deducted for a low blow late in the fight.It was the Shepherd’s Bush-born light-middleweight’s first outing since an unsuccessful attempt to win the Commonwealth title in December.“I half-panicked and thought there’s no way I was going to let the fight get stopped, so I tried to get him out of there,” he told West London Sport.“That was probably not the best idea and they weren’t the tactics when I went in there with, but I felt I had to do something.“He was catching me but not hurting me, so I neglected my defence a bit and was prepared to take one to give one to try and stop him.”Mitchell Smith enjoyed a great win.And O’Meara admitted he was worried when the referee seemed inclined to stop the fight before the beginning of the fourth round.He said: “I was pleading with the referee. I said to him: ‘I can see fine’ and he wasn’t listening to me.“The first person you should ask is the fighter and see if he can see. At least test me rather than telling me I can’t see.“It didn’t seem like he was on my side at all and he’s meant to be caring for the fighters.“When the crowd comes and pays money to see fights, the last thing they want is to see a fighter get stopped prematurely on a cut.“The referee didn’t seem to give a monkey’s about that and if he’d stopped that fight I’d have been really disappointed in him and in boxing in general.“I know next time to stick to the gameplan and not panic, but the ref didn’t help with that panic because I saw him keep looking at the doc.“The ref would have helped if he’d have been a bit calmer. He looked over the doctor twice and as a fighter you know that’s not good.“I told the doc I was okay and luckily he agreed with me. I’m pleased to get the win.”Earlier in the evening, Harrow’s super-featherweight prospect Mitchell Smith enhanced his growing reputation by destroying Gavin Reid in the first round.Wembley welterweight Gary Corcoran also maintained his unbeaten record, comfortably beating Tottenham’s Mark McKray, but there was a controversial defeat for Northolt light-middleweight Ryan Toms.See also:Smith dazzles Wembley with quick winTrio to feature on Wembley Arena 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 Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

Rays jump on Manaea early, eliminate A’s in Wild Card Game

first_imgIt was another playoff broken record for the A’s and their fans.The A’s, … Click here if you’re unable to view the photo gallery on your mobile device. OAKLAND – The A’s entered Wednesday night’s American League Wild Card Game with a full house and a team seemingly poised for a playoff breakthrough.They ended up with more heartbreak and an abrupt end to their season in a 5-1 loss to the Tampa Bay Rays before a season-high home crowd of 54,005, a record for any Wild Card game.last_img read more

Probe replacement of carvings at Konark Temple: Naveen Patnaik

first_imgOdisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Sunday demanded an inquiry into alleged replacement of artistic stone carvings of the Konark Sun Temple with plain stones.The Sun Temple, an ASI-protected world heritage site, is known for its outstanding architecture. The 13th Century monument was built by King Langula Narasingha Deva by mobilising 1,200 sculptors.In a letter to Union Minister of Culture Mahesh Sharma, Mr. Patnaik said original stone carvings in the temple, as per media reports, had been removed and in their place, plain stones had been fixed.Main attraction“A masterpiece of creative genius in both conception and realisation, the temple represents a chariot of the Sun God and is one of the World Heritage sites declared by UNESCO. It is embellished with sophisticated and refined iconographical depictions of contemporary life and activities,” noted the Chief Minister. “It is the main attraction of domestic and foreign tourists in Odisha. Konark Sun temple represents the climax of Odishan temple architecture. It symbolises Odia pride and reflects the ethical and emotional expression of the Odia people,” Mr. Patnaik pointed out.“Now only the front temple Jagamohana remains, which is also gradually decaying. It has been reported that 40% of the artistic stone carvings of the existing temple have been replaced by the ASI with plain stones,” he observed.“I would request you to cause an enquiry into the matter,” he demanded.last_img read more

12 days agoDenmark coach Hareide on Tottenham midfielder Eriksen: I hope he chooses well

first_imgDenmark coach Hareide on Tottenham midfielder Eriksen: I hope he chooses wellby Paul Vegas12 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveDenmark coach Age Hareide has defended Tottenham midfielder Christian Eriksen.Hareide is well aware of the transfer speculation around his star man.”I’m talking to Christian. And for me, writing about him is not so important. The most important thing is how Christian feels as a human being,” he said.”And I want him to be good where he is, and I also hope he gets it right where he possibly goes. “More I cannot say, we do not interfere in such matters.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Spotted Shi Zi Yang 7 Launched in Hong Kong

first_imgImage Courtesy: Incat CrowtherIn today’s spotted we present you Shi Zi Yang 7, a 40-meter catamaran passenger ferry which has been launched in Hong Kong.To be operated by Sea’s Young in Hong Kong, the ship was constructed by shipbuilder Wang Tak.The 199-passenger ferry was designed by naval architect Incat Crowther.“The design of the vessel focuses on an efficient hull form. An effectively laid out deck plan keeps superstructure to a minimum, with hull cross structure eliminated where not required,” Incat Crowther said.Powered by a pair of MTU 12V2000 M72 main engines, Shi Zi Yang 7 can achieve a speed of up to 32 knots.last_img read more

Gatineau construction site occupation leader to spend weekend in jail

first_imgAPTN National NewsAfter holding the ancient site for several weeks police removed a number of protesters Thursday night in Gatineau.Among those arrested was Roger Fleury.Earlier this year archaeologists discovered Indigenous artifacts that were thousands of years old along the Ottawa and Gatineau rivers.The site is scheduled for development.A small group of First Nation people, and some local residents, had been occupying the area since August in hopes of saving the artifacts.But a court issued an injunction to have the protesters removed Thursday.Those arrested were scheduled to appear in court Friday afternoon.APTN’s Annette Francis has more.last_img read more

Kerala Tourism Minister greets visitors at virtual reality kiosk in Delhi Airport

first_imgTourism Minister of Kerala Kadakampally Surendran recently took on the role of a host and guide at a unique virtual reality platform set up by his department at the international airport in New Delhi, which offered air passengers a taste of cruising through the famed backwaters of Kerala.The Minister spent the entire day at the kiosk set up by Kerala Tourism at the Indira Gandhi International Airport greeting passengers drawn to the novelty of a life-size ‘kettuvallam’ (houseboat) placed in the airport departure area and explaining how the technology works.The backwaters have been brought to life through a two-minute film specially shot using 360-degree technology using six cameras simultaneously.The VR ‘experience site’, which is the latest promotional and marketing initiative of Kerala Tourism, has attracted a lot of attention since it went operational and has signaled that Kerala remains at the forefront of using technology for tourism promotion.“It was an amazing experience, even for someone like me who has actually been on a real houseboat cruise. For a person who has never visited Kerala, I cannot imagine a more fantastic introduction. We definitely hope to see more people wanting to experience the real thing after what they have seen here,” said Surendran of the virtual reality tour.MPs from Kerala, including P Karunakaran, Vayalar Ravi, K Somaprasad, C P Narayanan, P K Sreemathi, M B Rajesh, P K Biju, Jose K Mani, K K Ragesh, K C Venugopal and Joy Abraham and Kerala’s Resident Commissioner in Delhi Dr Vishwas Mehta were among nearly 200 passengers who visited the kiosk and enjoyed the experience.U V Jose, Director, Kerala Tourism, stated that technology would be an integral part of tourism promotion and marketing now and in the future.The VR zone at the IGI Airport is part of the department’s ‘Out of Home’ marketing campaign to promote ‘Brand Kerala’ and is targeted at high net worth individuals in the domestic market.Besides Mumbai, Kerala Tourism is planning to take the ‘experience site’ to other airports, including Bengaluru.last_img read more

July 14 2010 from upper left Preparations fo

first_imgJuly 14, 2010 [from upper left] Preparations for Italian Night started last Friday with Tomiaki Tamura going through all of the steps, with table arrangements and teams lined out on a whiteboard. Tables and chairs had to be taken out of storage and placed, programs were folded, table cloths had to be tied down, and as in most years past, it started sprinkling right then …. [photo & text: sue] [from upper left] ….. Tomiaki met with the serving teams, Joseph prepared beautiful flower arrangements, the serving team ready for action. [photo & text: sue] [from left] This years chef Nathan Hodgson prepared a delicious meal, and here is Paolo Soleri before the crowd arrived. [photo & text: sue] Part of this event is the serving of pasta from wheel barrows. The crew is waiting for Mary Hoadley to announce the entrance of the pasta … [photo & text: sue] … and Paolo Soleri, at 91 years, served pasta to the guests. [photo: Chihiro Saito & text: sue] Italian Night 2010 dinner in the Vaults. [photo & text: sue] This years entertainment was provided by virtuoso accordionist and composer Nick Ariondo, with guest artists multi-faceted musicians Larry Hughes on clarinet and soprano sax and Jean Sudbury on violin and mandolin. It was a high energy, excellent performance, received by the crowd with much enthusiasm. [photo: Youngsoo Kim & text: event program, sue] As a winner of Italy’s Ancona/Catelfidardo Prize in 1987 for his chamber music and two Grammy awards with the Los Angeles Opera Orchestra, Nick Ariondo is “a brilliant success,” according to Zubin Mehta, and “a one-man force to be reckoned with” says Dianne Bates. Nick Ariondo has received 20 consecutive annual ASCAP awards for his compositions & arrangements as he continues to surprise audiences with his incomparable artistry. [photo: Youngsoo Kim & text: event program, sue]last_img read more

You cant put a price tag on ending discrimination

first_img Categories: News,Steven Johnson News By state Rep. Steven Johnson, of WaylandThe State of Michigan made a costly mistake decades ago by allowing discrimination in instances where people are retrieving their vital records.We all have our fair share of experiences at the county clerk’s office– some positive, some negative – but, just imagine having to pay more for your birth certificate just because of the circumstances in which you were born. Unfortunately for some, this is a reality.In Michigan, anyone born before October 1, 1978 to unmarried parents does not have their birth certificate on file at their county clerk’s office. As a result of this troublesome discrimination, these individuals have a more cumbersome process of retrieving their vital records from the state.This ultimately costs them more time and frequently triples the expense to receive their birth certificate – all because of factors simply out of their control.You can’t put a price tag on ending discrimination. That is why I authored bipartisan legislation to ensure all Michiganders are charged the same amount as other people in their county to receive a copy of their birth certificate – regardless of the marital status of their parents when they were born.There’s no justification for why this immoral, unequal treatment could happen in the first place – let alone continue for decades. My plan, House Bill 4152, ends Michigan’s reign of profiting off this discriminatory practice and brings our state back to equality with a common-sense approach.Everyone deserves fair treatment under the laws enforced in this state, and I look forward to working with my colleagues in the Michigan Legislature to get this measure of ending birth certificate injustice over the finish line.### 04Mar You can’t put a price tag on ending discriminationlast_img read more