Previous Article Next Article Related posts:No related photos. Comments are closed. Standard Life is to create 400 new jobs in Edinburgh, thanks to a record setof annual figures. The last year has seen business for the insurance and investments groupexpand by 61 per cent to £8.3bn – 46 per cent ahead of targets set a year ago. David Barr, recruitment manager for Standard Life Assurance, believes thatthe figures have much to do with the company’s people policies. “We have recently introduced a whole range of policies where HR hasworked very closely with the business, such as performance management systemsand a restructuring of the management job levels,” he said. “We have also completely done away with grades and instituted amarket-related way of paying staff.” Against the background of a volatile stockmarket and a global economicdownturn, the organisation has achieved financial stability and developed thecapacity to adapt. Standard Life’s performance puts it ahead of industry rivals in Britain,although many have also recorded a rise in sales over the past 12 months. Barr said this has much to do with the organisation’s ability to attract andretain competent staff. “We like to think e are progressive and the company isprogressive,” he said. “HR is heavily involved in getting the right people and training them.We also help line managers to ensure that working conditions are as competitiveas possible. “The company recognises that the success of the past year is founded oninvestment in the business and investment in the our people.” www.standardlife.com Standard Life success brings jobsOn 11 Dec 2001 in Personnel Today
Back to overview,Home naval-today Newest US aircraft carrier to miss another delivery deadline View post tag: USS Gerald R. Ford Newest US aircraft carrier to miss another delivery deadline Authorities Share this article View post tag: US Navy October 7, 2016 The most expensive ship the U.S. Navy has ever built is once again bound to miss a delivery deadline.USS Gerald R. Ford, the lead ship of a next generation of U.S. aircraft carriers, was scheduled to be delivered to the Navy in 2014, but the deadline kept being pushed back.The latest delivery was scheduled for November this year, but according to a report by the Virginian Pilot, the delivery was delayed again and the Navy did not set a new one.Defense News reported in September this year that voltage regulator problems on the carrier’s four main turbine generators (MTGs) resulted in an electrical explosion in one of the turbines in June with another, smaller, explosion taking place in July.“We continue to look for opportunities to get Gerald R. Ford to sea as soon as possible. The Navy is evaluating the most cost-effective and efficient schedule to complete sea trials and ship delivery,” Navy spokesman Capt. Thurraya Kent was quoted as saying by the Virginian Pilot.Earlier delays were caused by the carrier’s advanced arresting gear system which was, according to Senator John McCain $600 million over budget. Back in 2015, Ford faced a potential two-year delay which could have been caused by shock trial tests which were requested by Michael Gilmore, Director, Operational Test and Evaluation.With a price tag of $12.9 billion, USS Gerald R. Ford is the most expensive ship in the Navy’s fleet. The $10.5 billion estimate from 2007 rose by 23 percent.Gerald R. Ford (CVN 78) was ordered from Newport News Shipbuilding, a subsidiary of Huntington Ingalls Industries, on Sept. 10, 2008. With this new class of ships the U.S. Navy hoped to save $4 billion in total ownership costs during each ship’s 50-year service life, compared to the Nimitz-class.The 1,100 foot (335 meter) ship displaces 100,000 tonnes and is designed to operate effectively with nearly 700 fewer crew members than a CVN 68-class ship. Improvements in the ship design will, according to the Navy, allow the embarked air wing to operate with approximately 400 fewer personnel.
S Black has launched a “breakthrough zero-trans coating fat” in the UK. Couva 850 NH, made by IOI-Loders Croklaan, is an alternative to conventional, hydrogenated and trans fatty acid-containing coating fats.S Black says the product provides chocolate confectionery and bakery manufacturers with a cost effective, technologically easy-to-incorporate coating fat that meets the demands of the health-conscious consumer.The company describes Couva 850 NH as a “next generation cocoa butter replacer” (CBR). Couva 850 NH has been developed mainly for enrobing applications.In replacing vegetable fats high in trans fat in existing applications, it has no adverse influence on either the output of production lines or the appearance of finished goods, says the company. A nine-month shelf-life is achievable under various conditions of time and temperature. Couva 850 NH is not hydrogenated and requires no tempering.[http://www.sblack.com]
While comparisons have been made between these 2 data sources, they measure different aspects of the COVID-19 pandemic.They are complementary data sources but drawing direct comparisons between these 2 data sources could result in misrepresenting the statistics and misunderstanding the current infection rate of the pandemic.
On November 8th, this country will make one of its most important decisions for the Presidency. As the results come in, the non-profit voter registration group HeadCount has set up the most engaging way to follow them. In conjunction with Magic Hat, HeadCount has announced the “Soundtrack To History” event, featuring the Everyone Orchestra creating live improvisation to the results.The previously-announced performance saw an impressive lineup of Steve Kimock, Marc Brownstein (The Disco Biscuits), Aron Magner (The Disco Biscuits), Vinnie Amico (moe.), Jeremy Salken (Big Gigantic), Natalie Cressman (Trey Anastasio Band), and Jans Ingber (formerly of The Motet). Today, the lineup grows by one as the organizers have revealed Twiddle guitarist Mihali Savoulidis as a special guest.You can watch Brownstein and Magner talk about this event and more in the live video interview, below.Tickets and more information about this show can be found here. Twiddle is also gearing up for a major three-night run at the Brooklyn Bowl from October 27-29, before flying across country to perform a late-night Halloween show at the Brooklyn Bowl Las Vegas. You can find all things Twiddle on the band’s website.
This semester, Harvard Law School launched the Law and History program of study. The new program of study joins six others, including Law and Social Change, Law and Business, and Law, Science and Technology. These programs guide students in navigating HLS’ extensive course offerings and connect them with faculty whose interests they share. The Law and History program of study is headed by two faculty leaders: Professor Tomiko Brown-Nagin, who is also a professor of history in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, and Professor Kenneth Mack.In this Q&A, Brown-Nagin discusses the origins and goals of the new program of study as well as her own scholarship.What does the Law and History program of study aim to do?The goal of the program is to make students aware that there are a number of world class legal historians on the faculty at Harvard Law School who have a lot to offer to students who are interested in history casually, but also to students who might be considering a career in academia. We’re also building community. As of next year, we will be including students in the legal history colloquium, which will be a class where students can meet professors who are coming to present their work. I think there’s a fabulous opportunity for students to network with people who are successful in their profession.Read the rest of the interview on the Harvard Law School website. Read Full Story
Brian Harwood of Waterbury, has been elected chair of the board of directors of Vermont Public Television (VPT), Vermont’s statewide public television network. One of the state’s best-known radio personalities and a Vermont Association of Broadcasters Hall of Fame member, he is morning host on WCVT Classic Vermont. He was formerly chair and CEO of hmc2 advertising in Stowe. Since his retirement from the firm, he serves as chair emeritus.Harwood succeeds James Wyant of Pointe Claire, Que., who continues on the VPT board as past chair.Pamela Mackenzie of S. Burlington, Vt., was elected vice chair. She is the area vice president for Comcast in Vermont and western Massachusetts.Source: VPT 7.2.2010
Rising rooftop solar output pushes demand on Western Australia’s grid to all-time low FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Renew Economy:The West Australia grid has set a new record low for minimum demand as rooftop solar continues to increase its share of generation, and the government announces it is reshaping solar export tariffs to encourage storage, electric vehicles and west facing solar panels.The new low was set on Sunday, just after noon local time, when grid demand fell to 1059MW as rooftop solar provided 40 per cent of total generation. That’s below the previous record of 1135MW set in January this year, but the Australian Energy Market Operator expects that further lows will be set this spring and in following years.The record fell on the same weekend that new winter lows for minimum demand were set in Victoria and South Australia, according to AEMO, both also the result of increased generation from rooftop solar, and low overall demand.The lows for minimum demand levels are falling rapidly. “This was the fourth consecutive quarter in which a minimum quarterly demand record was set, of which two were all-time minimum demand records, highlighting the continuing impact of distributed PV on demand patterns and quantities in the WEM,” AEMO said in its latest Quarterly Energy Dynamics statement.This new record takes the number of consecutive quarters with a new minimum demand record to five, including three which are all time records.[Giles Parkinson]More: Rooftop solar: W.A. sets new record low for grid demand, two other states set winter lows
SHARE Email Facebook Twitter Gobernador Wolf: El estado continúa la reapertura gradual: 16 condados más listos para pasar a la fase verde el 5 de junio Español, Press Release, Public Health Con más del 80 por ciento del estado en alguna fase de reapertura, el Gobernador Tom Wolf anunció hoy que 16 condados adicionales darán un paso más y entrarán en la fase verde a partir de las 12:01 a.m. del 5 de junio. Los condados incluyen Allegheny, Armstrong, Bedford, Blair, Butler, Cambria, Clinton, Fayette, Fulton, Greene, Indiana, Lycoming, Mercer, Somerset, Washington y Westmoreland.Los primeros 18 condados pasaron hoy a la fase verde. Estos incluyen Bradford, Cameron, Centre, Clarion, Clearfield, Crawford, Elk, Forest, Jefferson, Lawrence, McKean, Montour, Potter, Snyder, Sullivan, Tioga, Venango y Warren.Ocho condados pasaron hoy a la fase amarilla. Estos incluyen Dauphin, Franklin, Huntingdon, Lebanon, Luzerne, Monroe, Pike y Schuylkill.Los condados que permanecen en fase roja y que se espera que pasen a la fase amarilla para el 5 de junio incluyen Berks, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Lackawanna, Lancaster, Lehigh, Northampton, Montgomery y Philadelphia.Con más de la mitad del estado listo para estar en fase verde el 5 de junio, esta semana el Gobernador presentó una orden actualizada para los condados que pasan a la fase verde con el fin de darles a las empresas y los residentes un panorama más claro de lo que está permitido en esa fase de reapertura. La orden incluye estos aspectos destacados:Las reuniones grandes de más de 250 personas están prohibidas.Los restaurantes y bares abren al 50% de su ocupación.Los servicios de cuidado personal (que incluyen peluquerías y barberías) abren al 50% de su ocupación y solo con cita previa.La recreación en interiores, los centros de salud y bienestar, y los servicios de cuidado personal (como gimnasios y spas) abren con una ocupación del 50%. Se recomienda enfáticamente la implementación de citas previas.Todos los entretenimientos (como casinos, teatros y centros comerciales) abren al 50% de su ocupación.La actividad relacionada con la construcción puede volver a su capacidad total con la implementación constante de protocolos.Las visitas a prisiones y hospitales pueden reanudarse sujetas al criterio de la institución/del centro médico. Los visitantes que interactúan con residentes y pacientes deben ser diligentes con respecto a la higiene. Dada la importancia crucial de limitar la exposición a la COVID-19 en los hogares de ancianos, los hogares de cuidado personal y centros de cuidado prolongado, las restricciones a las visitas se mantendrán vigentes en primera instancia.También se actualizaron las preguntas frecuentes respecto de las empresas y están disponibles aquí.El Gobernador Wolf también brindó más opciones a los condados que están en la fase amarilla al permitir los restaurantes con servicio al aire libre a partir del 5 de junio y ofreció una guía sobre campamentos de verano para proveedores, padres y cuidadores.La guía sobre campamentos de verano incluye información sobre qué tipos de programas para niños están permitidos durante la reapertura gradual, la situación de los parques públicos y el funcionamiento de las piscinas comunitarias, y la situación de los deportes organizados en equipos.El estado continúa usando las métricas basadas en riesgos de la Carnegie Mellon University, junto con la capacidad de rastreo de contactos y de la realización de pruebas, y una reducción sostenida en las hospitalizaciones a causa de la COVID-19 para tomar las decisiones sobre los cambios en los condados. Se siguen considerando los 50 nuevos casos por cada 100,000 habitantes, pero no son el único factor decisivo.Para ver los datos actualizados sobre los recuentos de casos y los datos demográficos, la preparación de los hospitales y las pruebas, vea el Panel de datos de COVID-19.A medida que más condados y residentes disfrutan de las restricciones más flexibles, el Gobernador resaltó la necesidad de equilibrar la reanudación de las actividades con los bajos recuentos de casos y asumir la responsabilidad personal al usar una máscara o elegir mantenerse alejado de las multitudes para reducir la probabilidad de entrar en contacto con portadores de COVID-19.“Si tomamos los simples pasos de usar una máscara, quedarnos en casa cuando estamos enfermos e implementar las tácticas del distanciamiento social, podemos ayudar a eliminar la propagación de la COVID-19 y hacer una gran contribución para que nuestro estado retome su rumbo”, dijo el Gobernador Wolf.View this information in English. May 29, 2020
National Issues, Press Release, Restore Pennsylvania Eleven governors send letter calling for significant investments to bridge digital divideAs states continue to address the COVID-19 pandemic, including economic recovery efforts, Governor Tom Wolf and a bipartisan coalition of 11 governors today sent a letter urging the president and Congressional leaders to make critical investments to ensure that all Americans have access to broadband internet connectivity, which they say is critical infrastructure that’s vitally important to our economic future and national security.“An investment in broadband internet connectivity is an investment in our commonwealth’s future and prosperity. The critical need for high-speed internet has become clear in light of our efforts to mitigate the spread of COVID-19, as more families work and learn from home, businesses operate online services and patients access medical care through telehealth,” Gov. Wolf said. “Now, as Pennsylvania focuses on our economic recovery, it’s critical that broadband internet access becomes a reality for every community, and especially our rural areas.“It’s clear that this is more than a Pennsylvania issue – the digital divide exists in communities across the country,” Gov. Wolf said. “It’s in everyone’s best interest, especially as technology continues to evolve and advance, that we make a significant infrastructural investment.”Some 18 million Americans, including nearly a million Pennsylvanians, lack access to broadband internet connectivity. Businesses and families without adequate access are left behind, and the consequences are staggering from an economic, health, education, and social standpoint, the governors said. A significant investment in broadband connectivity, the governors added, will unleash economic potential, promote stable job growth that’s resilient in times like these, and ensure all businesses and families can participate in the digital economy.Governor Wolf has made access to high-speed internet a top priority. He led this bipartisan call to address the issue following a discussion with Land O’Lakes President and CEO Beth Ford. The farmer owned cooperative is working with organizations across industries including agriculture, healthcare, finance, and tech to address connectivity.“We commend Governor Wolf and his fellow leaders for making this bipartisan call to action and for recognizing that our country simply cannot afford to allow the digital divide to widen,” Ford said. “Land O’Lakes, and many of our partners who understand the economic, educational and quality of life impacts that digital technology can have for individuals and for communities, look forward to working together with these governors and other policy makers as we advocate for high-speed internet access to become a reality for all Americans.”Broadband internet access is also a key component of Restore Pennsylvania, a statewide plan to aggressively address the commonwealth’s vital infrastructure needs, including installation of infrastructure to bring high speed internet to every corner of the commonwealth. Funded through a commonsense severance tax, Restore Pennsylvania is the only plan that will help make Pennsylvania a leader in the 21st century.Ver esta página en español. Gov. Wolf Leads Bipartisan Effort in Calling on President, Congressional Leaders to Invest in Broadband Internet Access June 25, 2020 SHARE Email Facebook Twitter