Previous Article Next Article Related posts:No related photos. Comments are closed. Standard Life is to create 400 new jobs in Edinburgh, thanks to a record setof annual figures. The last year has seen business for the insurance and investments groupexpand by 61 per cent to £8.3bn – 46 per cent ahead of targets set a year ago. David Barr, recruitment manager for Standard Life Assurance, believes thatthe figures have much to do with the company’s people policies. “We have recently introduced a whole range of policies where HR hasworked very closely with the business, such as performance management systemsand a restructuring of the management job levels,” he said. “We have also completely done away with grades and instituted amarket-related way of paying staff.” Against the background of a volatile stockmarket and a global economicdownturn, the organisation has achieved financial stability and developed thecapacity to adapt. Standard Life’s performance puts it ahead of industry rivals in Britain,although many have also recorded a rise in sales over the past 12 months. Barr said this has much to do with the organisation’s ability to attract andretain competent staff. “We like to think e are progressive and the company isprogressive,” he said. “HR is heavily involved in getting the right people and training them.We also help line managers to ensure that working conditions are as competitiveas possible. “The company recognises that the success of the past year is founded oninvestment in the business and investment in the our people.” www.standardlife.com Standard Life success brings jobsOn 11 Dec 2001 in Personnel Today
View Comments Here’s a quick roundup of stories you may have missed today. Broadway Gets Sexy (Erm, Sexier)Still yearning for the studs of the Great White Way, even after Broadway Bares? Roberto Araujo, a photographer and performer originally from Mexico City, is showing off the sexy side of Broadway in Male Exposure—B Side, a new photo gallery at G Lounge in Chelsea. The models include Tony winner/recent host Alan Cumming as seen above in his Cabaret drag, Aladdin’s Yurel Echazarreta and Alec Vargas of the late 50 Shades! (who we’ve gotten to, uh, know, previously). Araujo’s work will be on display from June 30 through July 7.Scream Queens Sets Premiere DateBrace yourself for some fresh hell. The new Ryan Murphy comedy-horror series Scream Queens will premiere on Fox on September 22. As previously announced, the series will feature Broadway alums Lea Michele in full headgear, Abigail Breslin, Keke Palmer and a shirtless Nick Jonas. It’ll be like Glee, but less singing and more blood-curdling shrieks.James Corden Honored with OBETony winner and Into the Woods star James Corden received an Order of the British Empire (OBE) on June 25 at Buckingham Palace. “It’s overwhelming,” the Late Late Show host said of the honor, reports the International Business Times, “the things that have happened in the past few years. I feel very underserving…but I feel very grateful.” Take a look at the overwhelmed but grateful show off his medal below.
By Brian HomewoodZURICH, Switzerland (Reuters) – FIFA needs to take care of the players when it plans the next international match calendar, the head of a key committee at soccer’s governing body told Reuters yesterday.Victor Montagliani said that the international calendar and the transfer system were among the priorities for the football stakeholders committee, which brings together representatives of the players, clubs and leagues.The current match calendar runs until 2024 and allows for around eight to 10 international matches per year in addition to major tournaments such as the World Cup, European championship and Copa America.Top players can easily play 60 to 70 matches in a season for their clubs and national teams.“It’s a pretty busy match calendar, so we need to take care of the players, all of us, because at the end of the day, that’s what we’re all here for,” said Montagliani, who is also president of CONCACAF.“The FIFA staff have started collecting data in terms of people’s opinions … they have started to talk to coaches, they have talked to players, they have talked to all the stakeholders.”The new committee, which met for the first time yesterday, was set up after soccer’s governing body FIFA was engulfed by a series of corruption scandals.Its members include former international players Cafu and Edwin van der Sar, AS Roma chief executive Umberto Gandini, Bundesliga CEO Christian Seifert and Philippe Piat, head of the world players’ union FIFPro.The committee’s role includes advising the FIFA Council on “all matters relating to football, particularly the structure of the game, as well as on all technical matters.”Relations between FIFPro and the clubs have sometimes been tense, with the union regularly complaining of clubs who do not respect players’ contracts.In 2015, FIFPro made a legal complaint at the European Commission against the transfer system which it said was fundamentally flawed.However, Montagliani said there was a positive mood at the meeting.“Everybody understands that if people are coming to the committee with a zero sum game mentality, nobody is going to win,” he said.“The game needs to be better so if the game gets better, everyone will win.“I thought it was very good, very positive and the right attitude was there.”