Organisation RSF’s 2020 Round-up: 50 journalists killed, two-thirds in countries “at peace” May 13, 2021 Find out more December 28, 2020 Find out more Reports HondurasAmericas April 27, 2021 Find out more RSF begins research into mechanisms for protecting journalists in Latin America Help by sharing this information Receive email alerts Radio Globo y TV presenter Julio Ernesto Alvarado, the target of government harassment and abusive judicial decisions in a defamation suit, was prevented from flying to Washington yesterday to attend an Inter-American Commission on Human Rights hearing on his case. to go further Follow the news on Honduras News RSF_en News October 21, 2015 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Travel ban prevents journalist from attending hearing on his case HondurasAmericas News 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policies Honduran immigration officials at Tegucigalpa’s international airport prohibited Alvarado from leaving the country on the grounds that his passport was stolen in the 1970s by a dangerous individual who committed several crimes including a murder.The immigration officials added that if Alvarado wanted more information about this matter, he would have to go to San Pedro Sula, a city four hours by road from Tegucigalpa, in order to ask the judicial authorities there.“We condemn the Honduran government’s manoeuvres, which must not be allowed to prevent this journalist from testifying and pleading his case before the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR),” said Emmanuel Colombié, the head of the Reporters Without Borders Latin America desk.“Julio Ernesto Alvarado has been the victim of judicial persecution since 2013 and has now exhausted all possibilities of legal recourse in Honduras despite the fact that, as a precautionary measure, the IACHR had asked the Honduran authorities to suspend the proceedings while it examines the case.”Once again, a member of the Organization of American States has failed to comply with its obligations under the OAS human rights system.Alvarado was to have participated in an IACHR meeting to discuss his case and, in particular, the failure of the Honduran authorities to comply with the suspension of proceedings that the IACHR requested as “precautionary measure” on 5 November 2014. He had also been invited to argue against a court order banning him from working as a journalist for 16 months.As Alvarado has travelled abroad in the past without any problem, it is clear that President Juan Orlando Hernández’s government was responsible for yesterday’s travel ban. The government found it hard to accept last year’s IACHR “precautionary measure” request and, last month, a supreme court decision just ignored the request.The defamation suit was brought against Alvarado in 2006 by Belinda Flores Mendoza, the former dean of the economics faculty at the Autonomous National University of Honduras, after he reported on his Globo TV programme “Mi Nación” that she was the subject of charges before the supreme court.Honduras is ranked 132nd out of 180 countries in the 2015 Reporters Without Borders press freedom index.
Mexican state-owned oil company Petróleos Mexicanos (Pemex) is on the lookout for a partner to carry out exploration and production activities on the Nobilis-Maximino area in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico.The Nobilis-Maximino block is located in ultra-deepwater in the Cinturón Plegado Perdido area of the Gulf of Mexico, 230 kilometers off the coast of Tamaulipas and 15 kilometers from the maritime border with the United States.It contains total 3P reserves that are estimated at 500 million barrels of crude oil equivalent. With a flow depth between 2, 900 and 3, 100 meters, it covers a total area of 1,524 square kilometers.In a statement on Monday, the Mexican oil company said joint ventures were a key element for Pemex to „consolidate itself as a modern, competitive and profitable enterprise, as this allows the company to share the risks of exploration and production in its fields, thus making use of the advantages provided by the Energy Reform.“The call for the international public bidding process that corresponds to this block in the deep waters of the Gulf of Mexico was published today by the National Hydrocarbons Commission.Pemex Board of Directors has earlier authorized sending the application for migration with a partner for the exploration and extraction in the Nobilis-Maximino block.Petróleos Mexicanos had requested the Sener (Ministry of Energy) to migrate the assignments for the Cinturón Plegado Perdido 03, 08 and 09, which were assigned to the company during Round Zero, to a contract for the exploration and extraction of hydrocarbons with a partner whose area of expertise is related to this contractual field.The Nobilis-Maximino block is located in ultra-deep water in the Cinturón Plegado Perdido area of the Gulf of Mexico, 230 kilometers off the coast of Tamaulipas and 15 kilometers from the maritime border with the United States.According to Tuesday’s statement by Mexico’s National Hydrocarbons Commission (CNH), a call for tenders was published and a basis of bidding for a partnership in the license.The CNH added that it approved the international public bidding process for the license during the 46th special session of the Commission on September 15.As stated in the schedule for this bidding process, the CNH will publish the list of bidders on January 24 while the bidding itself will be held on January 31, 2018.“The Nobilis-Maximino concession is an essential part of Petróleos Mexicanos’ strategy to promote such partnerships that will strengthen its (Pemex’s) operating, financial and technological capabilities,” Pemex said.Offshore Energy Today Staff