Odds & Ends: Alan Cumming is (Still) Sexy & More

first_img View Comments Here’s a quick roundup of stories you may have missed today. Broadway Gets Sexy (Erm, Sexier)Still yearning for the studs of the Great White Way, even after Broadway Bares? Roberto Araujo, a photographer and performer originally from Mexico City, is showing off the sexy side of Broadway in Male Exposure—B Side, a new photo gallery at G Lounge in Chelsea. The models include Tony winner/recent host Alan Cumming as seen above in his Cabaret drag, Aladdin’s Yurel Echazarreta and Alec Vargas of the late 50 Shades! (who we’ve gotten to, uh, know, previously). Araujo’s work will be on display from June 30 through July 7.Scream Queens Sets Premiere DateBrace yourself for some fresh hell. The new Ryan Murphy comedy-horror series Scream Queens will premiere on Fox on September 22. As previously announced, the series will feature Broadway alums Lea Michele in full headgear, Abigail Breslin, Keke Palmer and a shirtless Nick Jonas. It’ll be like Glee, but less singing and more blood-curdling shrieks.James Corden Honored with OBETony winner and Into the Woods star James Corden received an Order of the British Empire (OBE) on June 25 at Buckingham Palace. “It’s overwhelming,” the Late Late Show host said of the honor, reports the International Business Times, “the things that have happened in the past few years. I feel very underserving…but I feel very grateful.” Take a look at the overwhelmed but grateful show off his medal below.last_img read more

Vietnam vet remembers: ‘War is hell’

first_imgAn unpopular war had ripped the country apart and tainted the men who fought it – made them feel like pariahs as they tried to slip back into the lives they had before they were drafted. Many of them, like Pasqual, weren’t even old enough to buy a drink or vote for or against the politicians who put them there. No patriotic groups back home were sending them care packages. Only their mothers and sisters did. No city officials threw them parades when they got home so their communities could say thank you for their sacrifice. No stranger ever came up to Pasquel Ramirez on the street, and said, “Hey, man, thank you.” Jerry Ramirez is 37 now, but he still remembers the look on his father’s face when, as a boy, Jerry asked him about war. “Like a lot of kids, I had this romantic vision of being a soldier. But when I asked my dad, he got this serious look in his eyes that kind of shook me up, like maybe I had done something wrong. “He said, `Son, if you don’t have to go to war, don’t. War is hell.”‘ Pasqual Ramirez had to go to war. And like all our Vietnam veterans, he came home to a country that really didn’t give a damn about them any more. Another Memorial Day weekend is here. And to Pasqual Ramirez and all our Vietnam veterans who were treated so shamefully for doing a job they didn’t ask to do: “Hey, man, thank you.” It takes a lot to make his father cry, Jerry says, but his dad’s former company commander in Vietnam, Capt. Jim Dabney, did that last month at a reunion of Delta Company. He surprised his old sergeant with the Bronze Star for Valor he should have received 39 years ago. With Pasqual’s family at his side, Dabney – now retired from the Pentagon – read the citation from the Secretary of the Army and finally answered the question a son asked his father years ago. The battle outside Long An, Vietnam, lasted five days in May 1968 – with more than 100 hours of intense, nonstop combat. “The soldiers of Delta Company were exhausted from lack of sleep and continuous close combat with the enemy,” the citation reads. “They were on a night search-and-destroy mission when the point squad came under heavy small-arms, automatic-weapons and machine-gun fire from an entrenched North Vietnamese army battalion. “The point squad leader, Sgt. Ramirez, deployed his squad and led his men in a series of fire and maneuver operations. They met intense enemy fire. “Recognizing the importance of maintaining contact with the enemy until the rest of the company could arrive, Sgt. Ramirez fearlessly moved among his men encouraging them to maintain their positions. “During the battle, Sgt. Ramirez was wounded. Despite his wound, he continued to encourage his men and expose himself to heavy enemy fire until he was wounded a second time and fell unconscious.” After days of fighting, Delta Company finally defeated the Vietnamese battalion. Ramirez was medevaced to an Army hospital and spent the next two months recovering. Later, the entire company was awarded the coveted Presidential Unit Citation for Bravery from then-President Richard Nixon. “I left Vietnam just a few days after the battle, leaving several recommendations for awards that one of our chopper pilots was supposed to give to our company clerk,” Dabney said this week. “I didn’t learn until just a few years ago at a reunion of Delta Company that Pasqual never received his Bronze Star. The company clerk never received the recommendations. “Pasqual was one of the most humble, loved guys in the company,” Dabney said. “After the war, he visited many of the families of soldiers who were killed serving in Delta Company. “It was so heartwarming to see him surrounded by his family when I finally presented him with his medal.” Maybe it’s better that it took so long to get his Bronze Star, Pasqual said. With his wife, Irene, and sons, Jerry and Pasqual Jr., by his side, it means more now than it would have 39 years ago when all he wanted to do was forget about Vietnam. He’s still out there fighting for veterans’ benefits for guys who served in Vietnam. Still keeping in touch with the men who never got a thank-you from their country when they got home. “I remember Jerry asking me about war when he was a boy,” Pasqual said Thursday. “Nothing’s changed. It’s still hell.” Dennis McCarthy’s column appears Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday. [email protected] (818) 713-3749160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img

MCBREARTY CALLS FOR FULL INQUIRY INTO CONTROVERSIAL COUNCIL CONSULTANCY CASE

first_imgLabour party councillor Frank McBrearty has called for a full, independent inquiry into the One Sigma controversy.The system was aimed at overhauling work practices at Donegal County Council and has so far cost €3 million.However there had been a major controversy around the system after two consultants were paid €30,000 a month. Now Cllr McBrearty has said nothing but a full inquiry will get to the bottom of the questions posed by the controversy.“I think at this stage we must have such an inquiry. We have to be seen to be accountable,” he told donegaldaily.com.“There are a lot of unanswered questions and we need to get answers to those questions if we are to retain our credibility.“And I think it has to be completely independent. We cannot have council investigating the council the same way that we can’t have the Gardai investigating the Gardai,” he said. Deputy Thomas Pringle recently raised the issue in the Dail and accused county councillors of failing to properly scrutinise what happens at council level.However responding to the claim, Cllr McBrearty said he challenged Deputy Pringle to claim he had not examined the issues of the One Sigmia outside the Dail“All I will say is that Deputy Pringle knew a lot more about the report into One Sigmia than most other members did.“If he has an issue then he should make these claims in full outside the Dail,” he said. MCBREARTY CALLS FOR FULL INQUIRY INTO CONTROVERSIAL COUNCIL CONSULTANCY CASE was last modified: May 24th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more