Pochettino happy at Saints

first_img Next week the former Argentina international will celebrate a year in charge on the south coast – a time in which his profile has transformed from the unknown bad guy that came in for fans’ favourite Nigel Adkins. Pochettino’s improved image saw him mentioned as a potential successor to Andre Villas-Boas at Tottenham and this week a report in Italy suggested he is set to leave for pastures new in June. Such talk flies in the face of the ‘project’ the Saints boss often mentions and was unsurprisingly dismissed out of hand on Thursday. “In Italy there is a new piece of news happening every single minute and most of them are contradictory from one hour to the next,” Pochettino said. “What can I say about it? I think if we paid attention to every single report that came out in Italy we’d probably go mad. I can’t really comment on something that has no solidity to it.” The news will be relief to Saints fans, who 10 years ago today were left reeling from the news that Gordon Strachan was leaving the managerial hotseat at the end of that campaign. Pochettino has no intention of making such an exit and would be keen to extend his contract past the end of the 2014/15 season, although no talks have begun. “I am happy here, of course,” he said. “There haven’t been any talks about an extension of the contract. “There isn’t any news about that and the moment that does happen I will answer that question.” The Saints boss was similarly coy when asked about movement in the January transfer window. Southampton manager Mauricio Pochettino has laughed off speculation that he will walk away from St Mary’s at the end of the season. Pochettino confirmed there had been no bids for the likes of Dani Osvaldo, Rickie Lambert and Luke Shaw, while there are no plans to make additions. “We don’t have any intention to sign any players,” he added. “In theory, no we do not. There is no intention at the moment. “There is still 22 days left in the transfer period and in that time we may change our minds. But at this moment we don’t have any intention to buy any players.” Press Associationlast_img read more

Stampede kills 15 Congolese fans

first_imgThe end of the domestic league season was marred by tragedy when a wall and a gate collapsed at the Tata Raphael Stadium in KinshasaThe head of African football has offered his condolences to the families of 15 fans killed on Sunday amid a stampede during AS Vita’s season-ending match against TP Mazembe in the Democratic Republic of Congo.Confederation of African Football (CAF) president Issa Hayatou expressed the continental governing body’s “deep sadness” at the events at the Tata Raphael Stadium in Kinshasa and has called upon the Congolese football federation to give a full report on the incident.”I would like to express my deepest sympathy on hearing of the untimely deaths of at least 15 people during the match of AS Vita and TP Mazembe,” Hayatou told CAFOnline. “Personally, and on behalf of the members of the African football community, I should be grateful if you could extend our deepest condolences to their families, friends and loved ones.”Further, we wish those that have been reported injured and receiving medical assistance a full recovery.” The stampede took place during injury-time with Mazembe leading 1-0, with a wall and gate collapsing under the weight of bodies. Fans of AS Vita had earlier launched objects onto the field of play, with police responding by releasing tear gas into the stands.The governor of Kinshasa has moved quickly to set up a commission looking into the tragedy, but Hayatou has taken the opportunity to speak of Caf’s resistance to violence in the game.”I wish to re-emphasise that any acts of violence have no place in football. They must be condemned in the strongest possible terms and I urge the Fecofa (Congolese FA) and authorities in the DRC to thoroughly investigate this matter.”last_img read more