Dozens of doctors’ groups on Saturday warned the Philippines was losing the coronavirus fight, calling for a “timeout” and urging President Rodrigo Duterte to tighten a recently eased lockdown to an enhanced community quarantine. FILE PHOTO Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Disease (IATF-EID) is scheduled to meet with medical frontliners group on Monday to reconfigure existing strategies in dealing with the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). In a letter signed by 40 medical societies, it said that the health care system has been overwhelmed, with hospitals temporarily closing to decongest and health workers falling ill as COVID-19 cases in the country surged under eased lockdown measures. MANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte’s decision on whether to grant medical professionals’ call for Mega Manila to revert to enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) will be known today. directed the IATF-EID to act on these concerns immediately,” Roque said. “Your voices have been heard. We cannot afford to let down our modern heroes. This is our commitment,” he added. The letter cited a potential collapse of the health care system, with more COVID-19 patients being admitted into packed hospitals, while health facilities are understaffed as medical workers have also contracted the disease./PN The groups called for a return to ECQ for at least two weeks, from Aug. 1 to 15, to give exhausted health workers “breathing space” as they served in the frontlines of a pandemic that has seen no letup. “President Rodrigo Duterte has heard concerns of the medical community and the Chief Executive “We propose that the ECQ be used as a timeout to refine our pandemic control strategies addressing the following urgent conditions or problems: hospital workforce efficiency; failure of contact tracing and quarantine; transportation safety; workplace safety; public compliance with self-protection; social amelioration,” the letter read.
Holders TP Mazembe of DR Congo must overcome a 2-0 deficit against visiting Wydad Casablanca of Morocco in the African Champions League.The two clubs meet on Wednesday in the second leg of their tie with the winners progressing to the group stages of the tournament.The losers get a second chance as they enter the draw for the play-offs in the second-tier Confederation Cup.For the first time continental club matches are being played in midweek.Mazembe’s French coach Hubert Velud described the club’s players as “incredible professionals” when he was hired this year.The clubs also met in a last 16 tie five years ago with Wydad winning 1-0 at home and losing 2-0 away only to be reinstated when Mazembe were disqualified for using an ineligible player. Wydad went on to finish runners-up, the second best showing by the club from the Moroccan commercial capital after winning the 1992 competition.Mazembe have been much more successful, winning the premier African club competition in 1967, 1968, 2009, 2010 and last year.But their African campaign this year has been less convincing.They needed the help of an own goal to draw 2-2 with Saint George in Ethiopia and took 85 minutes to score the only goal of the second leg through a Jonathan Bolingi penalty.”Winning trophies is a habit at Mazembe and you are aware of that although I was not given specific objectives when signing a one-year contract,” Velud said. “Continual success in the Champions League is very important to Mazembe because winning the competition secures a place at the Fifa Club World Cup.”Wydad coach, twice Real Madrid manager and former Liverpool and Wales striker John Toshack has mixed emotions ahead of the second leg in Lubumbashi.”Our first leg performance was among the best since I joined the club two years ago, but it is likely to be a very different game in DR Congo,” he said.”We will be playing on an artificial surface in an atmosphere unique to Africa. What does count in our favour is not conceding at home.”Mazembe have yet to find a successor to Tanzania striker Mbwana Aly Samatta, who has moved to Belgium. Mazembe and Wydad are among nine Champions League winners seeking group places and just one of the eight second legs does not involve a title-holder.On Tuesday ex-Birmingham City and Aston Villa manager Alex McLeish guides Egypt’s Zamalek as they defend a 2-0 lead over Mouloudia Bejaia in Algeria.Also on Tuesday A brace by DR Congo-born Idris Mbombo has put Zambian outfit Zesco United in a favourable position as they host Stade Malien of Mali holding a 3-1 advantage.Another Algerian club Entente Setif, who won the title in 2014, scored two vital away goals in a 2-2 draw in Sudan against Al Merreikh.On Wednesday Enyimba of Nigeria defend a 3-0 lead over Etoile du Sahel in Tunisia. The Nigerian lead thanks to a first leg hat-trick from Mfon Udoh, who is the top scorer in the competition so far with seven goals.Mamelodi Sundowns of South Africa hope Colombian Leonardo Castro and Zimbabwean Khama Billiat can transfer sparkling domestic form to Africa as they strive to overcome a 1-0 defeat by AS Vita Club in DR Congo.Al Ahly of Egypt, under former Tottenham Hotspur manager Martin Jol, enjoy home advantage over Young Africans after drawing 1-1 in Tanzania.The other tie sees Al Ahly Tripoli take on Asec Mimosas of Ivory Coast at a neutral venue due to the political instability in Libya, the first leg ended 2-0 to the Ivorians. – Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @JoySportsGH. Our hashtag is #JoySports
Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error “Could’ve been worse for sure,” Clayton Kershaw said after his duel with Madison Bumgarner fizzled into a bullpen game and a no-decision, “but I’ll take it.”A walk by Chase Utley, a single by Yasiel Puig and a pitch that hit Justin Turner allowed the Dodgers to load the bases in the ninth inning against Casilla trailing 2-1.With one out, Adrian Gonzalez hit a routine ground ball to second baseman Kelby Tomlinson. Tomlinson couldn’t transfer the baseball out of his glove in a steady rain, so he threw to first base for the sure out. That allowed Utley to score the tying run.In the 10th, Corey Seager and Charlie Culberson hit back-to-back doubles against Josh Osich. Kenley Jansen nailed down his second save of the season by pitching a 1-2-3 inning.“I’ve never played in the postseason,” Culberson said, “but that’s what it felt like … postseason baseball, first week of the season.” One day after the Dodgers failed to reward Ross Stripling’s stellar pitching performance ‑ the right-hander didn’t allow a hit for 7 1/3 innings in his major league debut ‑ they squandered more opportunities than they were given the previous two days combined. The Dodgers finished 2 for 21 with runners in scoring position.They began four different innings with a leadoff double, and each time they failed to score. The Dodgers’ only run against Bumgarner scored when Scott Van Slyke was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded in the third inning ‑ and Van Slyke was subsequently removed from the game with tightness in his lower back.Kershaw, for one, deserved better. In his second start of the season, Kershaw allowed four hits in eight innings and threw only 91 pitches. Two of the hits were solo home runs by Bumgarner and Ehire Adrianza. It was the first time Kershaw had ever allowed solo home runs to the opposing number-8 and number-9 hitters in his career.Bumgarner is the only pitcher to hit a home run off Kershaw in the major leagues, and he’s done it twice.“Maybe it was over the plate a little too much, but he got it pretty good,” Kershaw said.The Dodgers had plenty of chances to answer but Bumgarner escaped every jam while allowing only the one run. The left-hander threw six innings, allowed six hits, walked one batter and struck out eight.The start of the game was delayed 40 minutes due to rain, which passed over the park only to reappear in the late innings. Dodgers pitcher Chris Hatcher slipped on the mound at one point in the ninth, but remained in the game.Roberts said there was no talk of delaying the game to wait out the storm in the late innings. He was more concerned about running out of players.Pitcher Kenta Maeda, who hit a home run three days earlier in San Diego, was at one point two at-bats away from appearing as a pinch hitter, Roberts said. After back-to-back losses to their rivals, Roberts sounded prepared to pull out all the stops. He had pulled out most of them by the time Saturday’s game was over.“Now we have a chance to split the series,” he said. “That’s the goal.” SAN FRANCISCO >> The Giants beat the Dodgers with a series of well-placed base hits Thursday. Friday, they won with two home runs.Saturday, the Dodgers nearly beat themselves.After eight innings of missed opportunities, the Dodgers rallied against Giants closer Santiago Casilla for a run in the ninth, and scored another in the 10th, to salvage a 3-2 win.“My card is a mess,” Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said after using every position player at his disposal ‑ including second baseman Micah Johnson, who didn’t arrive until the seventh inning.
The Superintendent of the Monrovia Consolidated School System has a wonderful plan for the re-opening of schools, hopefully next January.He has pledged to feed the children as a key component for the enhancement of learning. Reflecting on the truism that “An empty bag cannot stand,” MCSS Superintendent Benjamin Jacobs has pledged that the System will do its best to feed all the children, many of whom come to school hungry. These hungry students, in the middle of the school session or earlier, soon find their way back home in search of food. Hunger contributes to truancy (absence or non-attendance), and nothing defeats the educational purpose more than that.Superintendent Jacobs should be commended for acknowledging this particular need which, if fulfilled, would definitely empower the children to be more responsive to the instruction they are receiving and take their lessons more seriously. And we hope and pray that the Education Ministry and the MCSS will be able to find the food to feed the students. We are sure that the World Food Program, the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) and Save the Children UK and USA would be more that willing to help our malnourished youth by enabling MCSS successfully to execute this plan. But . . . and again, this is a BIG BUT!With the children’s stomachs full, what kind of instruction will they receive in the classroom? Who will the teachers be? How well prepared will they be? What will be the syllabus? Are their textbooks to back it up? What will be emphasis on reading in a country where over 60% of the people are illiterate and so many of our school going pupils and students have serious difficulty reading?If there are textbooks, where are they coming from? This newspaper has long argued that the Ministry of Education (MOE) and the Liberian government as a whole should insist on locally produced texts for our students because such texts help the students learn faster and more retentively.We have no idea why the MOE has persistently had difficulty finding the resources to recruit and train textbook writers. This is most certainly one of the key challenges of our new Minister of Education, Dr. Elizabeth Davis Russell who, given her impeccable educational qualifications and professional accomplishments, we are sure will be confirmed by the Liberian Senate.We wonder what Superintendent Jacobs is thinking about Civics, a vital subject that for reasons few can understand was some years ago expunged (deleted) from the Liberian school curriculum. The most puzzling thing about this deletion is that this happened in a country whose people have difficulty being patriotic. Civics not only helps students learn more about their country; it helps them understand their history and the functioning of their government. Without putting forward what we believe is an unnecessary argument for the restoration of Civics in the Liberian educational curriculum, we are straightforwardly calling on the Education Ministry and MCSS to make sure that Civics is taught in ALL elementary and high schools, public and private, throughout the Republic. In order to do this, it is axiomatic (self evident) that textbooks at various levels will have to be produced and teachers trained to teach Civics.We hope also that Superintendent Jacobs and his team will ensure that each school has a library and trained Librarians to help students develop the ability and habit of reading. The Ministry should also help MCSS find the money to equip each school with a fully equipped laboratory. Our students must learn Science at every level, including Nursery. We all have seen what Ebola has done to us–killed so many of our nurses and doctors. They need to be replenished and that can be done only when we teach our students Science and Math.Needless to say, MCSS and the MOE have a lot to do to train and retrain our teachers–the existing ones and the thousands more that need to be recruited to man our educational institutions.Superintendent Jacobs should be commended also for his plans to keep Ebola at bay by insisting on hand washing, temperature taking and all the other measures in place to fight the virus. It is a great thing, too, to engage Guidance Counselors in all the schools to help keep out students focused, and properly guided and direct through their academic journey the vocational and professional choices they must eventually make.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)