The Tinbergen building, which currently houses the departments of Zoology and Experimental Psychology, is to be demolished, Oxford University has announced. The facility will be replaced by a new life sciences centre for the Departments of Plant Sciences, Experimental Psychology and Zoology.The presently empty Tinbergen building had to be evacuated in February 2017 after the discovery of asbestos that could not be disposed of while the building was still in use, causing some disruption to students and staff. The departments were subsequently moved into temporary accommodation.The building is set to be destroyed after current work to remove asbestos is completed. Construction work will then begin for the new centre, and is expected to continue into 2022.Although the centre is unlikely to open in time for some students to use the new facilities, many have been positive about the plans.One Biological Sciences student said: “I think it will improve biology because at the moment our buildings aren’t that modern so it will be nice to have a modern one.”Staff have also expressed excitement at the prospect of new facilities.The Head of the Department for Plant Sciences, George Ratcliffe, said in a recent department newsletter that “there would be clear benefits in bringing two organismal biology Departments under the same roof”.However, the announced destruction of the Tinbergen building, regarded in Oxford as a brutalist landmark, has drawn concern from the Oxford Brutalist Society, who say they are “devastated at the university decision to destroy the Tinbergen building” and expressed concern that “concrete masterpieces are continually knocked down with no regard to their architectural significance”.Oxford City Council is in consultation regarding the plans for the new building, and Oxford residents are to have an opportunity to comment on the issue in 2019.The University has been contacted for comment.
Donegal’s Local Enterprise Office (LEO) is inviting businesses across the county to enter the Donegal Business Awards, 2016.Firmly established as one of Donegal’s most prestigious business accolades, the awards recognise and honour innovation and entrepreneurial flair within the county. The competition is open to every business, operating in any sector, which is based in Donegal and employs less than 50 full time staff.Application forms and competition guidelines can be downloaded at www.localenterprise.ie/Donegal and the closing date for entries is Wednesday 10th February 2016. The Donegal Business Awards are now open for entry. Pictured are one of last year’s finalists, Rick LeVert and Libby Carton of Kinnegar Brewing, who went on to represent Donegal at the 18th National Enterprise Awards. Application forms can be downloaded at www.localenterprise.ie/Donegal and the closing date for entries is Wednesday 10th February 2016.Now in their 20th year, the Donegal Business Awards celebrate Donegal’s best and brightest in business. The awards are presented in a number of categories, with the winner of overall ‘Donegal Business of the Year’ receiving a prize of €2,500.The winners of ‘Best Start-Up’ (18 months or less), ‘Best New Business Idea’ and ‘Best Established Business’ (over 18 months), will each receive a prize of €1,500. While on the day, one of the finalists will be named as the chosen business to represent Donegal at the National Enterprise Awards’ Final.Encouraging businesses to enter the awards, Michael Tunney, Head of Enterprise at the LEO, said: “This is the 20th year of the Donegal Business Awards and we’re delighted to have built such a strong platform to allow businesses in Donegal showcase the excellent work they are doing. These awards are about recognising the wealth of talent that exists in this county and, year-on-year our shortlisted finalists are evidence of the exemplary quality of entrepreneurship and hard work happening throughout Donegal. I’d like to wish all of the entrants the very best of luck and I look forward to the awards event in March”.The Donegal Business Awards are celebrating their 20th year in 2016. Pictured are last year’s winners, left to right, Gina Witherow, Donegal English Language School (winner of ‘Established Business of the Year’), Sean Coll and Helen Haworth, Portsalon Luxury Camping, (winners of ‘Best Start-Up’), Rick LeVert, Kinnegar Brewing (winner of ‘Best Design’) and Maria Sweeney, Safe Tech, (winner of ‘Overall Business of the Year 2015’).The winners of the Donegal Business Awards will be announced at a business lunch on Friday, 11th March, 2016 in The Villa Rose Hotel in Ballybofey. This event will mark the culmination of Donegal Business Week, which runs from Monday, 7th to Friday, 11th March, 2016. For more information on the LEO and the Donegal Business Awards, visit www.localenterprise.ie/Donegal or contact Ursula DonnellyDONEGAL BUSINESS AWARDS NOW OPEN FOR ENTRY was last modified: January 22nd, 2016 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalLEOLocal Enterprise Awards