Homeless Man Found Dead in Greenport Garage

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A 44-year-old homeless man was found dead Thursday night in a Greenport garage, Southold Town police said. German Mendoza was discovered inside a detached garage after a concerned friend went to check on him, police said in a news release.Mendoza’s death is not considered suspicious, police said. The Suffolk County medical examiner’s office has yet to determine a cause of death.A deep freeze has enveloped the region for days, but police did not say if the brutal cold was a factor in Mendoza’s death. Southold Town Police Chief Martin Flatley told Southold Local that the garage Mendoza was sleeping in was not constructed for living and lacked heat and facilities. A notification has been made to Mendoza’s next of kin, police said.last_img read more

Millions back at school in Europe as cases pass four million

first_imgAn AFP tally of infections, using official data from across Europe, showed that more than four million people have contracted the illness, with Russia accounting for almost a quarter of infections. The virus emerged late last year in China and has now infected more than 25 million people globally and killed almost 850,000. The Chinese city at the center of the initial outbreak, Wuhan, took another leap back to normality on Tuesday when its almost 1.4 million youngsters also returned to schools and kindergartens. State media broadcast images of thousands of students hoisting the Chinese flag — a daily routine at all public schools — despite warnings to avoid mass gatherings. “I’ve been waiting for this moment for a long time!” 12-year-old Chahda told AFP excitedly as she arrived with her friend at school in the southern French city of Marseille. However, the largest school district in the United States — New York City — announced a delay to in-person classes at public institutions until September 21, after reaching a deal with a prominent teachers’ union that had threatened a strike over health concerns it felt had gone unaddressed.In Europe, the decision to forge ahead with school reopenings comes as the virus is spreading rapidly again in many countries, raising fears that more lockdowns and disruption are to come in autumn and winter.”I am convinced that we can and will prevent a second general shutdown,” Germany’s Economy Minister Peter Altmaier said, unveiling figures to suggest his country has passed the worst of its recession.  ‘Bubble within a bubble’Elsewhere, fresh economic data for the second quarter further revealed the extent of the economic devastation caused by the virus’s march around the globe.Brazil’s economy, the biggest in Latin America, contracted by a record 9.7 percent in the second quarter of 2020, the official statistics agency said Tuesday.There is uncertainty about whether the economy will recover strongly over the rest of the year because the virus is still wreaking havoc and room is running out to continue the huge government stimulus spending that has softened the blow so far.On Monday, India said its economy had collapsed by 23.9 percent. Only China, where the outbreak was first reported, has escaped a recession in the period, according to official data. ‘Weird’ tennis returns While schools attempt to get back to normal, the virus continues to play havoc with cultural and sporting events.The US is hosting the world’s first major tennis tournament since COVID-19 emerged, but it has not been plain sailing at the US Open, where one player was sent home after testing positive and other players are grappling with eerie empty arenas. “It’s a little bit weird to play without fans and without the support and the atmosphere on the center courts,” said former champion Angelique Kerber. The Italian city of Venice is also gearing up for the annual film festival, with about half the usual number of visitors expected and no Hollywood A-listers prepared to accept invitations from the organizers. “It’s a festival without stars because Hollywood is still in lockdown,” Festival Director Alberto Barbera told AFP. “Will there be less glamour? Yes. Will there be fewer stars on the red carpet? Certainly.”  Topics : Millions of mask-wearing European children returned to school on Tuesday with governments determined to get pupils back in class despite still-rising coronavirus infections which surged over four million across the continent for the first time.Schools reopened in Russia, Ukraine, Belgium and France, where teachers and children aged 11 and older were obliged to wear face coverings, echoing regulations in place across the continent.Lockdowns imposed from March meant many children have missed months of education, as well as time with their friends. Blow for Sanofi Tuesday also brought bad news for everyone hoping for a swift medical breakthrough that could bring an end to the pandemic.French pharma giant Sanofi announced that a drug in testing as a treatment for serious COVID-19 cases had proved disappointing and trials will be halted.The drug “did not give us the results we were hoping for”, said the firm’s research chief John Reed.Sanofi is also part of the global race to develop a vaccine against coronavirus, with more than two dozen different products being trialed around the world according to the World Health Organization. In Hong Kong, health authorities are focusing on rolling out a mass testing scheme but have seen their efforts hampered by distrust of officials following China’s crushing of the city’s democracy movement. Doctors and testing firms from mainland China are involved in the program, fuelling public fears that their DNA and data will be harvested to create a system of control underpinned by biometrics. “I think it’s a waste of time,” local resident Emily Li told AFP. “The government can’t convince me in terms of the effectiveness of the testing program.” last_img read more

Hughes: Overhaul in front court poses big questions for next year

first_imgIt’s always interesting looking forward to next year when it comes to college sports.Change is almost certainly unavoidable, and when it happens on a minimal level, things are even more intriguing.For the Wisconsin men’s basketball team, last year the offseason question centered on UW’s backcourt since Trevon Hughes and Jason Bohannon graduated.Now the eye of the inquiries focus on the frontcourt, where three players – Tim Jarmusz, Keaton Nankivil and All-American honorable mention Jon Leuer (a total of 203 starts) – are ditching the jerseys for graduation gowns.So the question for this upcoming offseason is flipped to the big men. Where once that area was considered stacked, it is now unclear who will step up.There’s no shortage of confidence in Mike Bruesewitz. He showed tremendous heart following his sprained knee against Penn State in the Big Ten Tournament.During the NCAA Tournament, it even seemed like the national media was talking more about Bruesewitz than anyone else, and I’m not surprised. He’s got a motor – that’s something every fan can appreciate in any athlete – and he’s got quite a personality that’s beginning to unfold.By the time he’s a senior, he’ll be the face of Wisconsin’s program. I really don’t have any reason to doubt that right now.It is because of him and Josh Gasser that I believe next year’s Badgers won’t be too many steps behind the 2010-11 squad. But they will take some steps back.For one thing, Gasser actually shot the ball quite well his freshman year, hitting .472 of his shots (although his perimeter clip is a different story), and he developed his assertiveness later in the season as well. Head Coach Bo Ryan likes to talk about Gasser’s natural ability to see the floor well, and I’m thinking that will improve come his sophomore year.So, with the backcourt looking set, what’s the outlook for the bigs?Although Ryan will, of course, not name a starter until the beginning of next season, Bruesewitz will no doubt fill one of the three open spots. Meanwhile, Jared Berggren and Ryan Evans will eye the others.There’s also 6-foot-10, 250-pound center Evan Anderson, who will enter his first year after redshirting this past season. But right now it’s uncertain how he’ll handle his first year on the floor.For one thing, UW loses a lot of proven deftness at shooting. Bruesewitz can certainly hit from downtown. But he hasn’t shown the ability to consistently hit shots from anywhere on the floor quite like Leuer.Berggren has shown flashes himself, but, like Bruesewitz, he wasn’t consistent in his sophomore year.Recently, he showed a bright flash against Belmont in the NCAA Tournament, going 2-2 from the arc. But he shot .318 from the perimeter during the season while also going .491 from the field.What’s more about Berggren, his defense is not as polished as the group of seniors now graduating.During the 2010-11 season, Berggren averaged one foul every 5.4 minutes. Of the seven players who earned more minutes last season, Bruesewitz, Gasser and Evans fouled at about every 10 minutes while Leuer, Nankivil, Jarmusz fouled at about every 15 minutes or more.So while consistency is the main question for Berggren and Bruesewitz, Evans’ play brings about love/hate stirrings in different ways.He would add an extra dose of athleticism to the frontcourt, as the Badgers only attempt alley-oops when Evans is on the receiving end. So the more he’s on the floor, the more avenues of scoring open up.But, alas, he has no outside shot, which doesn’t work all that well into Ryan’s philosophy of every player being able to more or less play every spot on the floor. He attempted three shots on the year and didn’t make any.He’s also got some defensive finesse, though. Despite playing a couple hundred minutes fewer than Jarmusz and Bruesewitz, Evans recorded six more blocks than those two combined and showed an ability for guarding the net in other ways as well.But, alas, he turns the ball over too much. Gasser, Bruesewitz and Nankivil turned the ball over no more than seven more times than Evans, despite playing hundreds of minutes more. Jarmusz turned it over 11 fewer times.The frontcourt could make or break next year’s Badgers. While UW will go through an overhaul, Michigan (which tied for fourth in the conference this past year) will likely return all of its starters. Michigan State will see all its big men return as well.Ohio State loses Dallas Lauderdale but keeps All-American Jared Sullinger and adds 6-foot-10 recruit Amir Williams. Purdue loses All-American JaJuan Johnson but welcomes the return of Robbie Hummel.Basketball is a game of giants. Let’s hope Wisconsin’s new-look front court stands tall.Elliot is a junior majoring in journalism. How do you feel about next year’s frontcourt? Who will step up for the Badgers? Send your thoughts to [email protected]last_img read more