Duterte decision on doctors’ plea for ECQ return out today

first_imgDozens of doctors’ groups on Saturday warned the Philippines was losing the coronavirus fight, calling for a “timeout” and urging President Rodrigo Duterte to tighten a recently eased lockdown to an enhanced community quarantine. FILE PHOTO Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Disease (IATF-EID) is scheduled to meet with medical frontliners group on Monday to reconfigure existing strategies in dealing with the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). In a letter signed by 40 medical societies, it said that the health care system has been overwhelmed, with hospitals temporarily closing to decongest and health workers falling ill as COVID-19 cases in the country surged under eased lockdown measures. MANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte’s decision on whether to grant medical professionals’ call for Mega Manila to revert to enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) will be known today. directed the IATF-EID to act on these concerns immediately,” Roque said. “Your voices have been heard. We cannot afford to let down our modern heroes. This is our commitment,” he added.center_img The letter cited a potential collapse of the health care system, with more COVID-19 patients being admitted into packed hospitals, while health facilities are understaffed as medical workers have also contracted the disease./PN The groups called for a return to ECQ for at least two weeks, from Aug. 1 to 15, to give exhausted health workers “breathing space” as they served in the frontlines of a pandemic that has seen no letup. “President Rodrigo Duterte has heard concerns of the medical community and the Chief Executive “We propose that the ECQ be used as a timeout to refine our pandemic control strategies addressing the following urgent conditions or problems: hospital workforce efficiency; failure of contact tracing and quarantine; transportation safety; workplace safety; public compliance with self-protection; social amelioration,” the letter read.last_img read more

CAF abandons Final 4 plans for CAF Champions League semis

first_imgThe Confederation of African Football (CAF) has released a new schedule for the Champions League semi-finals effectively abandoning its plans to stage a Final Four Competition.CAF’s original schedule had Zamalek facing Raja Casablanca, while Wydad Casablanca were to take on Al Ahly earlier in the year.However, following the COVID-19 pandemic, the body had to make adjustments to its schedule.CAF considered staging a mini final four competition but that idea appears to have been shelved after Cameroon, originally named as hosts, pulled out.“The semi-finals will be played at home and away. The first leg matches will be played on September 25 and 26, 2020 in Morocco, and the return matches on October 2 and 3 in Egypt,” CAF said in a statement.CAF added that in case the final ends up being between a Moroccan side and an Egyptian side, it will be played at a neutral venue.“However, if the two Egyptian or Moroccan clubs qualify for the final, the single match will be played either in Egypt or in Morocco on October 16 or 17, 2020. In this regard, the Member Associations concerned, namely the Egyptian Federation de Football and the Royal Moroccan Football Federation, must confirm their availability no later than August 15, 2020.CAF, however, retained the  Final 4 at the end of September in Morocco for the Confederations Cup.Confederations Cup Semis09/22/2020 – Pyramids (Egypt) vs. Horoya (Guinea) at Complexe Mohammed V, Casablanca09/22/2020 – RS Berkane (Morocco) vs. HUSA (Morocco) at Prince Moulay Abdellah Stadium, RabatFinal09/27/2020 – Prince Moulay Abdellah Stadium, RabatAll matches will be played behind closed doors.last_img read more